If you’ve been in pharmaceutical sales for a while, there’s a good chance you remember the Tape Rental Library.
Most major pharma companies had a contract with TRL as a way to provide ongoing learning opportunities for sales reps and other field based folks.
Think early Netflix for your commute: order books on cassette tape/CD and they’d arrive in your mailbox a week or so later. Return them when you’re done.
Ah, the memories. I’m pretty sure I borrowed the Learn Spanish series 3 times and never made it through…
Anyway, while the Tape Rental Library may sound a like a thing of the past – the opportunity to make the most of our windshield time is not.
The average size of a pharmaceutical sales district is expanding like crazy which means plenty of extra time behind the wheel. We can chalk this up to lost time and complain about it or get purposeful and make the most of it by consuming great content.
The good news is, the amount of valuable information right at our fingertips today is unprecedented. Most of it is 100% free and requires no envelopes or scratched up CDs because it sits right on our phone in the form of PODCASTS.
Podcasts are not new, but I’m surprised at the number of pharma sales leaders I talk to who don’t listen to them.
With that in mind, I thought I’d update a list I started back in September 2015 with 10 podcasts that every pharma leader should check out and consider adding to their drive time. This blog post also describes HOW to listen to podcasts on your smartphone if you don’t already know.
PLEASE leave a comment at the end of this post if you’d add any to the list – I’d love to make this an ongoing project with lots of great options.
Here you go!
- This is Your Life – Michael Hyatt: a once weekly podcast dedicated to intentional leadership. He draws from both his experience in the corporate world and as an entrepreneur to deliver great insight. Great production value and always a ton of actionable stuff to work on. (iTunes link)
- Pharma Marketing Talk: features interviews with leaders and innovators in pharmaceutical marketing. Not as regularly published as some of the others on this list but solid content to consume focused exclusively on pharma marketing. Worth a follow on Twitter, too! (iTunes link)
- Entrepreneur on Fire: John Lee Dumas interviews today’s most successful Entrepreneurs 7-days a week. Each episode details the journey of a successful Entrepreneur who shares their ups, downs and ah-ha moments. A great challenge for us to be more entrepreneurial in our thinking! (iTunes link)
- The TOP: another show that publishes daily and focuses on the worlds TOP entrepreneurs. The host Nathan Latka gets into the weeds on how much they sold last month, how they are selling it, and pulls out lots of interesting insights that can be applied to daily business. (iTunes link)
- Fierce Biotech Radio: this show features interviews and analysis from around the biotech, pharma and medical device industries. They publish once per week but there can be gaps. If you already receive and enjoy any of the “Fierce” newsletters via e-mail, you’ll love hearing the discussion on this podcast! (iTunes link)
- Advanced Selling Podcast: hosts Bill Caskey and Bryan Neale have been B2B sales trainers for the past twenty years. They share their strategies, frameworks, tips and tricks to help create your own sales success. They do a nice job of keeping things light, fun and action oriented. (iTunes link)
- The Ziglar Show: usually published 2x/week, hosts Kevin Miller and Tom Ziglar break down the most powerful messages from Zig Ziglar and today’s top world changers. The discussion breaks them down into ways that they can be applied today for growth and development. (iTunes link)
- The EntreLeadership Podcast: a weekly show from the great Dave Ramsey and hosted by Ken Coleman, the EntreLeadership Podcast features discussions & tips on leadership and business by some of the top minds in the business, like Mark Cuban, Seth Godin, Jim Collins and Simon Sinek. High quality. (iTunes link)
- The Salesman Podcast: A former medical device rep, Will Barron interviews the world’s leading influence, body language, psychology and sales experts to give you the information YOU need to close more deals and make more money. Sounds good to me, right? (iTunes link)
- TBD: there are literally thousands of podcasts out there on every topic imaginable. If you’re into fly fishing, sports, painting, travel, politics or cooking – there is no doubt a program for you to subscribe to. In addition to these business focused programs, feed your mind great content on topics you love! (iTunes link)